The Roland Callingham Foundation, which runs Bekonscot Model Village, is a charity registered in the UK, charity number 1164475. We take your privacy very seriously and are committed to protecting your personal information.This policy explains how we and our affiliated subsidiary, Bekonscot Limited, may collect and use the information you give us.
You can contact us at:
Attn Data Protection Administration
Bekonscot Model Village
14 Ledborough Lane
Tel 01494 672919
- We will always store your personal details securely
- We will only hold your information for as long as necessary
- We will tell you how we are using information about you; and when you ask us to stop using your data, we will do so promptly
- We will only contact you in the ways you wish, using what you have told us to help communicate better with you
This policy includes:
- How we collect information
- What personal information we collect
- How we use your personal information
- What we do to keep your information safe and who has access to it
- How we keep your information up to date
- How long we keep your information for
- Your right to your information
How we collect information
We collect information you provide when you:
- Become a Season Ticket holder
- Donate to us, including when you visit the Model Village
- Telephone us, e-mail us, text us or visit our website and enquire about our activities
- Post content on our social media sites
- Sign up to receive updates on Bekonscot and our activities
- Participate in a customer survey with us and provide us with information about you
Cookies are small pieces of information sent by a web server to a web browser, which enable the server to collect information from the browser. The cookie then sits as a small text file on your computer’s hard drive and identifies you to the web server when you return to that website in the future. For Bekonscot’s website, like most websites, this helps us serve you better by already knowing which pages you have seen before and are interested in.
What personal information we collect
The type and quantity of information we collect and how we use it depends on why you have provided it. Some information is legally required, notably details to support a Gift Aid claim.
Most personal information you provide to Bekonscot is collected because you have consented for Bekonscot to have this information. It enables Bekonscot to thank you for your support and to communicate with you about activities at and plans for the model village which you may find of interest.
If you support us as a donor or ask to be kept informed of activities at Bekonscot, we will collect where relevant:
- Your full name
- Your contact details, namely full address, phone numbers, e-mail
- Your contact preferences
- Your date of birth
- Your credit card details (only until we have been able to process the transaction)
- Details of specific areas of Bekonscot’s activities that you are interested in
- Information about you that may help us ensure our communication to you is relevant and tailored.
We do not actively collect information from children under 16. If we have supporters who are under 16, we will ask a parent or guardian for consent to collect information about their children.
We use CCTV around the site for security and for the safety of our visitors and staff
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information in a number of ways, including:
- To administer your donation, including Gift Aid processing
- To update you about our upcoming activities, events and development projects
- To invite you to participate in voluntary surveys
- To maintain our organisational records and ensure that we have the most up to date preferences on how you wish us to contact you
- To analyse and improve our website and social media services
- To analyse your website behaviour
- To help us ensure we send you targeted communications that are in accordance with the consents you have given
What we do to keep your information safe and who has access to it
We place great importance on the security of your personal information and will always try to take appropriate precautions to protect it.
We establish our website(s) with the industry-recommended security features and carry out regular security reviews and investigations of any potential breaches.
We ensure that only authorised Bekonscot staff and contractors have access to your information and that they are appropriately trained to manage your data.
Despite all our precautions, no data can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of information you disclose to us online, and you must understand that you do so at your own risk. However, any payment card details entered into our website are passed securely and directly to our payment processing providers who meet Payment Card Industry (PCI) security standards.
We do use external organisations to process personal data on our behalf. When engaging a contractor company we check that they meet all relevant regulations and registrations. We also include in the contract the data protection obligations to give maximum protection of your personal information. If the company processing the data is transferring, processing and storing your personal information outside the European Economic Area (EEA), we will take steps to provide suitable further measures to secure your personal information, such as entering into European Commission approved standard contractual clauses.
We may legally be required to disclose your personal information to the police or for other regulatory reasons in certain circumstances. In other circumstances, we will only ever share your personal information if we have your consent to do so.
How we keep your information up to date
We aim to be in contact with our supporters at least once a year and we will update any changes notified to us promptly.
You can write to us, e-mail us or call us with any changes.
From time to time, we may use databases such as the Post Office’s National Change of Address register to update our records.
How long we keep your information for
We will hold your personal information on our database on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. For instance, we will keep a record of Gift Aid donations you have made for at least six years.
If you ask us to stop sending you marketing materials and newsletters, we will keep a record of your contact details and preferences to enable us to comply with the request not to contact you.
Your right to your information
We collect and store your personal information so that Bekonscot can communicate with its regular visitors and supporters.
Although in most cases we will seek consent to process your personal information, we may in some instances process your information without consent when we are legally allowed to do so. This will only be where it is in our legitimate interests to do so and where we are confident that this processing is not likely to prejudice your legitimate interests or rights and freedoms.
Where we are processing your personal information based on consent that you have given us, you are entitled to withdraw that consent. You have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal information at any time, subject to us having a legal obligation to retain certain information, for instance for audit.
If the information is incorrect or you disagree with it, you have the right to ask us to correct it or erase it. We will promptly correct any inaccuracies and discuss with you any other changes you request.
For more information on these rights please read the relevant guidance issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at:
If you would like to make a complaint about how we process your personal data, please contact us, Attn Data Protection Administration, details above.
If you are not satisfied with how your complaint is dealt with, you should contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (www.ico.org.uk). Alternatively, you are entitled to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office without first referring your complaint to us.